Monday 1 October 2012

The classic Bacon and Egg


Who doesn't like a classic New Zealand bacon and egg pie? They're so simple and quick to make, yet so tasty. This week I had a real craving for one, so whipped a couple up. Here's the details.


I used supermarket pastry again, cutting around the upturned pie tins twice to get the shell and lid. You could also try this quick pastry recipe.

Whisk together one egg per serving, plus one extra (I made two individual pies using 3 eggs).
Add some chopped onion (I used ½ an onion) and chopped parsley.
Chop one piece of bacon per serving and add to the mix.
I also like veges in my bacon and egg pie, so I added half a finely diced carrot and about half a cup of peas.
Season with salt and pepper.

Line your pie tin with the pastry, then pour in the mixture. Be careful not to go too full because the filling will expand a little as it cooks, and it's a very runny filling so will spill over the edges when you move it if it's too full.

Spoon over a nice tomato relish or chutney. I used a supermarket tomato and coriander salsa, mainly to use up leftovers in the fridge. Normally I'd use a homemade tomato and onion relish. You don't want too much or it will overpower the flavour of the bacon and eggs, but just enough to add some sweetness and tomato flavour to the pie. A teaspoon or two per serving should be enough.

Put the pastry lid on top and poke a couple of holes in it with a knife or fork. Bake at 200 degrees celcius for about 25-30 minutes for small pies, 40-50 minutes for a larger pie. You'll know it's done when the pastry looks nice and golden.

0 comments:

Post a Comment