Friday 10 August 2012

Chicken, Baby Leek and Kumara (Sweet Potato)

Chicken, Baby Leek and Kumara pie

Chicken pies are pretty cool, right? And baby leek? That's a bit different. Throw in a kumara for some bonus sweetness? Why not. Well, that's this week's pie, so I hope you enjoy it my friends.

I used this pastry recipe again - it doesn't always work that well going strictly be the recipe and I found I had to add more water. It also was a bit dry the first time I made it, so I'll work on that and report back with my findings.

For the filling:

Peel, cube and roast a couple of kumara (normal potato might be okay as a substitute, but you just won't have that sweet, sweet, sweetness). You might as well leave the oven on when you're done if you want to make the pies straight away.

Cube a couple of chicken breasts and brown in a frying pan with some oil or butter, then remove the pieces.

Add a sliced baby leek and a sliced onion and saute for about 7 minutes.

Toss in a diced carrot and cook for another 3-4 minutes.

Pour in a about a cup of chicken stock (use the best stock you can buy, please don't use a powdered stock). Add the chicken and cook the whole shaboodle until the liquid has halved.

Stir in a teaspoon or two of a nice mustard, honey grain is awesome here. Add some soft cheese, I used cream cheese, but ricotta would also be the business. Stir it around until it's all sort of melted in.

Line your pie tins with pastry, spoon in the filling, put a pastry lid on - stab some air vents in the lid - and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the pastry is golden.

This would also be good (and probably healthier) if you used store-bought filo pastry instead, but up to you.

Let me know how you get on with this one - and any improvements you made or would make.

Next time we'll go vege with a Mushroom, Potato and Red Wine pie. Nice.


1 comments:

Post a Comment